Your 3-year-old’s little brain is amazing! They can now listen to and understand conversations, stories, songs and poems. They even understand that the letters in books are telling readers what to say! The Blue Ribbon books selected for Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library contain the following age-appropriate characteristics to foster your 3-year-old’s language skills and imagination:
- More complex stories – hero, complication, resolution
- Diversity of others – faces, environment – OK to be different
- Play, humor, fun
- Nursery rhymes and poetry
They also build on concepts such as:
- Wordless books – build your own story (reader and child)
- Values and character
- Issues – fear, conflict, love, safety
- Colors, letters, numbers
- Nursery rhymes
In addition to promoting age-appropriate language and literacy skills, books are chosen to promote a love of reading and learning; regard for diversity of people, their roles, culture, and environment; promotion of self-esteem and confidence, appreciation of art and aesthetics.
Blue Ribbon selections for children born in 2014 are:
Interested in the book list for other ages?